I like to work on new algorithms and statistical methods for better understanding of molecular data. I focus on computational cancer biology and on signaling pathways.
- Drawing the genealogical trees of tumors. Which cancer mutations come first? How much genetic diversity can we expect from tumor evolution? Is tumor evloution neutral, or is it driven by selection? These and many more questions about the family history of tumor cells I find very exciting!
- Working out the bottleneck of metastasis initiation.
Cancer makes astronomic numbers of trials to set up metastatic colonies. Only a few succeed. We figure out why.
- Who talks with whom in cellular networks?
I study cellular signaling pathways by kicking their members out and observing what happens.
- Fighting cancer with its own weapons.
I am analyzing the phenomenon of synthetic lethality between cancer genes. We can use synthetic lethality for cancer treatment. Once one gene is mutated, we can target its synthetic lethal target in order to kill cancer cells.
Open positionsCurrently, we have no positions open. As part of the "Predicting synthetic lethality in cancer" grant, we are recruiting candidates for a student internship position. The stipend amounts to 1000PLN a month. Requirements: ?> education in Computer Science, Statistics or Bioinformatics interest or experience in probabilistic modeling, machine learning and data analysis programing skills Please apply to email@example.com, attaching your CV, short motivational letter and a contact person for recommendations. Application deadline is Jan 22 2017. ?>
- Statistical data analysis 1 (Statystyczna analiza danych 1; in Polish)
- Genome-scale technologies 2 / Algorithmic and statistical aspects of DNA sequencing (2015)
- Linear algebra (2015) (teaching assistant; in Polish)
- Statistical data analysis 1 (2016) (Statystyczna analiza danych 1; in Polish)
Ewa Szczurek, PhD
Institute of Informatics,
University of Warsaw
Banacha 2, 02-097
tel. +48 22 5544 155,
Short CVResearch experience
- Fellow (second half 2016)
Center for Interdisciplinary Research, Bielefeld.
- Postdoc (2012-2014)
ETH Zurich, D-BSSE, ETH Fellowship, with Niko Beerenwinkel.
- Postdoc (2010-2012)
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics, with Martin Vingron.
- PhD (2006-2010) Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics,IMPRS programm, with Martin Vingron and Jerzy Tiuryn.
- Master's (2006) University of Warsaw
- Master's (2005) Uppsala University
- 1 year of study Warsaw University of Technology, Architecture
- POLONEZ research grant from the National Science Centre, Poland
- ETH Zurich Postdoctoral Fellowship Program and the Marie Curie Actions for People COFUND program (grant FEL-13 12–1)
- International Max Planck Research Schools (IMPRS) fellowship