Scholarship in the project
"Secant varieties, computational complexity, and toric degenerations"
The project is realised within the
programme of Foundation for Polish Science,
cofinanced from European Union, Regional Development Fund.
Web page the project:
Time span of the project:
May 1st, 2012 -- April 30th, 2014 (24 months)
We have a possibility of funding up one more scholarship for students in the Master program.
The scholarship will be awarded in an open competition in June 2013. The deadline for applications is Sunday, Jul 7, 2013.
The overview of the competition is following:
- Each scholarship is 1000zł per month.
- In addition, a small travel allowance will be available for conference and workshop participation.
- The student receiving scholarship must write his/her Master thesis under the supervision of
Dr Jarosław Buczyński.
- The Master thesis must be related to one of the topics of the project.
- The scholarships are awarded for students who win an open competition.
- The scholarship cannot be paid after the student defends his/her thesis, nor after the final date of the project (April 30, 2014).
The application must include:
- The student must be completing a level-two university course or has completed the third year of a unified
Master's course, and must send his/her application (see below) by e-mail to
J. Buczyński, email@example.com.
- The selection of the candidates will be performed by a commission consisting of: Dr Jarosław Buczyński, Prof. Adrian Langer, Prof. Jarosław Wi¶niewski.
- Based on the applications a commission will choose up to four best candidates.
- Those best candidates will be invited for an interview.
After the interview the commission will choose at most one student to participate in the project.
- Important! The competition is valid only if there are at least two candidates.
- basic personal data (including name(s), surname, date of birth, e-mail, contact telephone number)
- detailed information about candidate's studies
(date of commencement, department(s),
advanced lectures attended by the candidate)
- detailed information about candidate's scientific achievements
(average mark from previous academic years, marks of last term (semester),
basic informations about BSc thesis (praca licencjacka),
awards and distinctions, scholarships etc.)
- a brief description of candidate's mathematical interests,
explaining in particular his/her interest in the project.
- The candidate should also arrange a recommendation letter of a mathematician of his/her choice
to be e-mailed directly to J. Buczyński, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The candidate should prepare a brief (~15min) blackboard presentation on a mathematical subject of his/her choice.
- All the documents above must be submited in Polish or in English.
- Applications should arrive on or before Sunday, June 23, 2012.
- The interviews will be held on Friday, July 12, at 1pm.
During the interview each candidate chosen by the commission will give the 15min talk he prepared,
and will be asked some easy questions about the mathematical interests of the candidate indicated
in the application form, especially those that are the most relevant to the project.