Algorithms for text processing with errors and uncertainties
Open Position: PhD Student
Starting date: October 2, 2017
Maximum duration: 21 months
Stipend amount: 4500 PLN per month
The goal of the project is the design of pattern matching algorithms when errors and uncertainties occur in the data. The expected developments of the project are in the scope of computer science while the motivation stems mainly from computational biology. In pattern matching with errors we are to report approximate matches with bounded edit or Hamming distance. Uncertain texts are texts with don't care symbols, indeterminate symbols, or positions that specify a probability distribution over the alphabet (so-called Position-Weight Matrices). The scope of problems considered in the project includes pattern matching in the off-line, on-line, and streaming setting, text indexing, internal text queries, and computation of similarity measures.
- Design and analysis of efficient algorithms for pattern matching in the presence of errors and uncertainties
- Preparation of manuscripts and presenting them at international conferences
- Optional: Implementation of selected algorithms
Profile of candidates
- MSc in computer science or mathematics
- Status of a PhD student in Poland (NEW) on the starting date of the project. This could include eligibility for PhD studies at the University of Warsaw in the recruitment during September 2017.
- Interest and experience in algorithm design. Command of the following techniques is required:
Previous experience in research on algorithms is an advantage.
- standard pattern matching algorithms
- suffix tree and suffix array
- sorting and selection
- static and dynamic tree-based data structures
- dynamic programming
- divide and conquer
- greedy algorithms
- automata for pattern matching
- Programming skills in C/C++/Python are desirable as experimentation can be useful in the design and evaluation of algorithms
- Experience in algorithm-oriented programming competitions is an advantage.
- Very good command of English, spoken and written, is a must. Command of Polish is a small advantage, but not essential.
- The position is not restricted to students of University of Warsaw. On the contrary, we welcome PhD students from other Polish universities as well as from abroad. However, please note that a successful applicant is expected to meet with the PI in person on a regular basis (at least once every two-three weeks).
- Priority will be given to candidates with expertise most relevant to the project.
You will take part in research on key problems in the area of text algorithms. The project is conducted at the Faculty of Mathematics, Informatics and Mechanics, University of Warsaw which is a leading institution in the field of theoretical computer science. The official partners of the project are experienced researchers and PhD students from the UK and France.
You will be able to disseminate the results of your work at international conferences. Your results will be expected to become the basis of your PhD thesis.
- Curriculum vitae
- Motivation letter
- List of significant achievements including potential publications
- Contact details of two referees (including at least one current or former supervisor)
Please include the following statement in your application: "I hereby give consent for my personal data included in my application to be processed for the purposes of the recruitment process under the Personal Data Protection Act as of 29 August 1997, consolidated text: Journal of Laws 2016, item 922 as amended."
How to apply
- Application deadline: August 25, 2017
- Please submit the required documents to: email@example.com. In case of questions, please ask them to the same e-mail address.
- Best candidates will be invited for an interview that will take place at the Faculty of Mathematics, Informatics and Mechanics, University of Warsaw in the beginning of September 2017.